Types of Distance Learners
Faculty and students in the distance learning community at Towson University are two types.
Off-Campus Delivery Service
- The delivery of physical items (e.g books, print dissertations, etc.) to the school-year residence.
- Note: All textbooks and media items are excluded.
- Electronic delivery of scanned articles/chapters that the library only owns in print format.
Using the Services
- Set ILLiad status to "Off-Campus Student" or "Off-Campus Faculty".
- Ensure school-year address is current and correct.
- Request books and articles, including those owned by the Library.
Off-Campus Delivery may take additional time. Consider using full-text articles in the Library's Research Databases or requesting chapters rather than complete books for quicker access.
Patrons are responsible for the cost of the return postage for physical items.
Notes: Only Off-campus students and faculty are eligible for Off-Campus Delivery Service.
Support for Faculty
Cook Library's Research & Instruction librarians provide equivalent library services and resources to the distance learning community. Contact your liaison librarian or Claire Holmes, Assistant University Librarian for Research & Instruction for any of the following support requests:
- Off-Campus Library Instruction
- Research Support (including Interlibrary Loan)
- Student Referrals
- Tutorial Requests
- Browse the Library's Help Guides
Online Class Support
Faculty can request that a librarian be embedded in the Blackboard site for a course.
Librarians will work with you to determine appropriate and timely online supports for student work.
- An "Ask a Librarian" discussion board
- Virtual office hours
- Timely sharing of relevant Help Guides
- Student Consultations
- Library instructional modules or re-time instruction
- Research-related assessment
Support for Students
If you take all classes online or at an Off-Campus Site, Cook Library's Research & Instruction Librarians work to address your needs. Contact your librarian for help with any of the following services:
- Access & Delivery
Assistance getting library materials in a timely way
- Online Presence or Off-Campus Visits
Instruction and consultations through Blackboard or at an Off-Campus Site
- Research Support
Guidance using library services, research help, and citation assistance