Chronology of Towson University History
|1864||Maryland Constitutional Convention|
|1865||General Assembly of Maryland enacts legislation establishing a state wide system of free public schools and authorizing the creation of a teacher training school. Maryland is the 7th state to establish such a training school|
|1866||Maryland State Normal School (MSNS) opens its doors on January 15, 1866 in Red Men's Hall, 24 North Paca Street, Baltimore, Maryland. Eleven students are enrolled on the first day. McFadden Alexander Newell is the first principal (term of office 1866-1890). On June 8, 1866, MSNS holds its first commencement with 16 graduates and ends the academic year with an enrollment of 48 students.|
|1873||MSNS moves to the Athenaeum Club Home at Charles and Franklin Streets, Baltimore.|
|1876||MSNS moves to a new building at Carrollton and Lafayette Streets on February 29th.|
|1890||Dr. Elijah Barrett Prettyman (1890-1905) is named the second Principal of MSNS. He also serves as the State Superintendent of Education until 1896.|
|1901||Basketball, a new sport in the United States, is introduced at MSNS for both men and women.|
|1905||Dr. George W. Ward (1905-09) becomes the third principal of MSNS.|
|1909||Sarah E. Richmond (1907-1917) becomes the 5th principal. Her vision for MSNS is to expand the facilities and move the school to Baltimore County.|
|1910||Miss Richmond begins a drive for a new location. General Assembly creates a building commission to oversee site selection, budget and design of a new school.|
|1915||MSNS moves to the 88-acre Towson campus during the summer and classes start in September. There are 3 new buildings, Administration, a classroom, library and office building; Newell Hall, a dormitory for women, and the Power Plant. A fourth building, Glen Esk, the home of the previous owners serves as the home for the Principal.|
|1917||Dr. Henry S. West (1917-20) becomes the 6th principal of MSNS. Dr. West hires a
business manager to handle the running of the large school facility (grounds, buildings,
The first dean position is created; it is filled by Sarah Richmond.
The Department of Pedagogy is established with John L. Dunkle as its leader.
|1920||Dr. Lida Lee Tall becomes the 7th principal (1920-34) and the first leader to be entitled president (1934-38).|
|1921||June - First student newspaper is issued.|
|1922||Fall - The Oriole begins publication as the student newspaper.|
|1924||Baltimore City Training School for Teachers closes. Their students are sent to MSNS, which effectively doubles the MSNS enrollment.
Richmond Hall (dormitory) opens in September.
|1927||Student newspaper is renamed The Towerlight, to represent a light of learning and a symbol of knowledge.
Members of the class of 1931 write a play, The Weavers of the Unbroken Thread, a history of intellectual thought and educational philosophy from Lao-tse to the 1940's.
|1931||General Assembly increases the course of study from two to three years.|
|1933||New building opens to house the Campus Elementary (Model) School. The building is later named after Libertus van Bokkelen, State Superintendent of Public Instruction (1864-1867)|
|1934||May 25 - Maryland State Board of Education extends the course of study for elementary teachers to 4 years, leading to a Bachelor of Science in Education|
|1935||General Assembly changes name to Maryland State Teachers College at Towson. (STC) First Bachelor of Science degrees are conferred at the end of the 1935-36 academic year.|
|1936||STC receives accreditation from the American Association of Teachers Colleges and the American Council of Education.|
|1937||The Glen, a 12-acre wooded area, is refurbished with stone pavilions and trails by the Works Progress Administration.|
|1938||M. Theresa Wiedefeld (1938-1947) becomes the 7th President of the College.|
|1941||A history of STC entitled Seventy-five Years of Teacher Education is published.|
|1942||New gymnasium is completed. The building is later named Wiedefeld Gymnasium.
(In 1968, it is razed to make way for a new library building).
March 20 - The campus elementary school is renamed Lida Lee Tall School in memory of former college President, Dr. Tall.
|1943||Accelerated program condenses four year BS degree into three years to get students into military service or civil service jobs faster.|
|1946||Fall - Arts and Sciences program is introduced in the form of a two-year junior college. This is done to assist returning veteran teachers in "jump starting" their education so they can advance to a four-year liberals arts college / university. It is an attempt to move these veterans quickly into jobs.|
|1947||Dr. Earle Taylor Hawkins (1947-1969) becomes the 8th President of the College. Education program is expanded to include training of teachers for junior high schools.|
|1949||Education program expands to include training of teachers for kindergarten.
STC receives its first accreditation by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools.
|1951||Ward and West Halls open as the first dormitories for men.|
|1952||November 1 – First homecoming of the post-World War II is held. Peggy Whiteleather, Class of 1956, is crowned the first Homecoming Queen. A pep rally, bonfire and Homecoming Parade are also some of the events.|
|1953||November 7 – Class of 1954 sponsors the first homecoming dance which has the theme of "Olde Heidelburg."|
|1957||Albert S. Cook Library building opens. (In 1969, library will move to a new building
and the "old" library building will become the Media Center).
Prettyman Hall opens as a dormitory for women.
September 19 – At the Fall Convocation, the Albert S. Cook Library and Prettyman Hall are dedicated by Governor Theodore R. McKeldin. Dr. Earle Hawkins announces the renaming of the Administration Building to Stephens Hall, the gymnasium to Wiedefeld Gymnasium and the two men’s dormitories to Ward and West Halls.
|1958||Towson's newly created Graduate School offers Master's in Education program and starts with 67 students.|
|1960||Education program expands to include training of teachers for senior high schools.
Two-year junior college is extended to a 4-year program in the arts & science, leading
to a B.S. or B.A. in a particular major.
Lida Lee Tall Learning Resources Center Building opens. Building dedication is held on September 29th. Van Bokkelen Hall becomes a general classroom building for art, math, speech, and instrumental music. It also houses practice spaces, recording spaces, and gallery space.
|1961||Theatre Department is established.
Council on Economic Education in Maryland (CEEM) comes to Towson University. (This organization is now known as the Maryland Council on Economic Education).
|1962||Dowell Health Center opens.|
|1963||July 1 - Name changes from Maryland State Teachers College at Towson to Towson State College (TSC).
Towson Tiger Mascot is introduced at the fall Homecoming
|1964||Speech-Language-Hearing clinic is established.
Scarborourgh Hall opens as a dormitory for women.
|1965||Smith Hall opens as Towson's first science building.|
|1967||Burdick Hall opens for class use.|
|1968||Towson fields its first intercollegiate football team.
Burdick Hall, named after Dr. William Burdick, the first chair of the Health and Physical Education Department at MSNS, is dedicated.
Linthicum Hall is dedicated. The building is named after the Honorable J. Charles Linthicum, a member of the House of Representatives from 1911-1932 and a 1886 graduate of the MSNS.
First football homecoming game is played. Towson loses to Gallaudet College 25-21.
|1969||Dr. James L. Fisher (1969-1978) becomes the 9th President.
New Albert S. Cook Library Building opens. The original library building becomes the Media Center.
|1970||First Earle T. Hawkins Symposium on International Affairs is held.
General Services building opens.
|1971||Center for the Asian Arts opens (now known as the Asian Arts and Culture Center).
Towson acquires Auburn House, former home of Rebecca Ridgely and the Turnbull family.
|1972||Student Day Care Center opens.
The College Union (now the University Union) opens.
The Residence Tower and the Administration Building (now Enrollment Services) opens.
|1973||The first Minimester session (January 4 to 31) is scheduled.
January - Frank Fulton is the first student to graduate with a master's degree in Audiovisual Communications program.
January - Gene Dawson, Director of Security, announces that Retha Jackson will become the first woman security officer on the campus police force.
May 2-4 - First annual Student-Faculty Ceramic Sale is held.
November 10 - Fine Arts Bulding (now the Center for the Arts) is dedicated..
Women's Studies program begins.
Pledge to Teach tuition waiver program abolished by state.
|1974||College awards its first B.S. degree in nursing.
The first "Doc" Minnegan Golf Tournament is held. Donald "Doc" Minnegan was an outstanding coach and the first athletic director at Towson.
The men's lacrosse team wins the National Championship.
|1976||July 1 - Towson is granted university status and the name changes to Towson State University (TSU).
Towson Center opens on October 17 with an exhibition game between the Washington Bullets and the New York Knicks basketball teams.
WTMD radio begins broadcasting.
|1977||Towson adds several new facilities - Hawkins Hall, Lecture Hall, Psychology Building, and Minnegan Stadium.|
|1978||Dr. Joseph Cox serves as acting President from September 1978 to June 1979.
First Sign language class is offered.
|1979||Dr. Hoke L. Smith (1979 - 2001) becomes the 10th President of the University.|
|1980||Campus hosts first Senior Olympics.
Applied Mathematics Laboratory is established and is the first such program at the undergraduate level in the country.
|1981||Academic program is restructured into 6 colleges: Allied Health and Physical Education; Education; Fine Arts and Communication; Liberal Arts; Natural and Mathematical Sciences; and the School of Business and Economics.
Maryland Writing Project is established.
November 5 - Newly renovated Van Bokkelen Hall is rededicated.
|1982||Master of Science program in Occupational Therapy is established.
The first President's Award for Distinguished Service to the University is awarded to Mary Catherine Kahl, History Department.
Towson holds its first Summer Arts Festival.
|1983||Computer Science program and B.S. in Computer Science are approved.
July 1 - Department of Computer Science is established.
Glen Complex is completed
First Distinguished Black Women Awards ceremony is held. This later becomes the Distinguished Black Marylanders Award.
The football team wins its first Eastern College Athletic Conference (ECAC) Division II Lambert/Meadowlands Award and is the Division II Team of the Year. Towson wins this award again in 1984 and in 1986.
|1984||Department of Computer and Information Sciences is established.
Graduate program in Professional Writing is created.
The football team wins its second Eastern College Athletic Conference (ECAC) Division II Lambert/Meadowlands Award and is the Division II Team of the Year.
|1985||Towson is included for the first time in the Best College Survey done by U.S News & World Report.
University Police receive the "Governor's Crime Prevention Award." They have continued to receive this award each year to the present.
|1986||The football team wins its third Eastern College Athletic Conference (ECAC) Division II Lambert/Meadowlands Award and is the Division II Team of the Year.|
|1987||Towson begins student exchange program with Carl von Ossietzky University in Oldenburg, Germany.
This is now Towson's oldest international student exchange program.
Towson's Summer Arts Festival becomes the Maryland Arts Festival.
|1988||Towson becomes part of the University System of Maryland.|
|1989||Master of Arts in Teaching (M.A.T) and Master of Music in Music Performance are established
Towson Run Apartments opens.
Center for the Study of Adult Development and Aging is established.
March - First cultural exchange program with Towson State University and the Leningrad State Conservatory begins. Initially, the program centers on dance, but later expands to include musicians and language teachers.
|1990||Institute for Teaching and Research on Women is founded.|
|1991||Master of Science in Occupational Therapy is established.
Lida Lee Tall School folds; building becomes campus child care center.
|1992||Towson establishes its first endowed chair in the College of Education after receiving a $1 million gift from Naomi Hentz, class of 1927.|
|1993||The Athletic Training Education Program receives certification from the National Athletic Training Association (NATA), becoming the first certified undergraduate program in Maryland.|
|1994||Graduate programs in Computer Science and in Theatre Arts are established|
|1995||Masters degree in Occupational Therapy is offered via the interactive video network.
John Glover, class of 1969, wins a Tony award for Love! Valour! and Compassion!
Towson joins the North Atlantic Conference.
|1996||Towson State University gets its own zip code - 21252-0001
Administrative Data Processing and Academic Computing are merged to form Computing and Network Services (CANS).
April - Regional Economic Studies Institute (RESI) comes to Towson State University.
Fall - College of Allied Health Sciences and Physical Education changes its name to College of Health Science Professions.
Fall - Physical Education Department changes its name to Department of Kinesiology.
U.S. World & News Report ranks Towson second in the "Most Efficient Schools" and fourth in the "Best Sticker Price" category for institutions in the north.
Fall - Student Government Association donates Tiger statue to the University.
Fall - Center for Instructional Advancement and Technology opens. CIAT provides a central facility for faculty to investigate and apply current technologies to course design and research.
October 4 - Nanotechnology Lab is opened by the Physics Department. It is the first of its kind within the University System of Maryland institutions.
January 31 - The Fitness/Wellness Center, a joint venture between Towson University's Department of Kinesiology and St. Joseph Medical Center, opens.
February - Installation begins for high-speed internet service to Towson's residence halls and the Burkshire.
May - Women's Center receives the "Governor's Award for Outstanding Contributions to the Field of Victim's Rights and Services."
June - Dan Jones, Dean of the College of Liberal Arts, receives the "Maryland Association for Higher Education (MAHE) Outstanding Educator Award."
July - World Cello Congress II, organized by Towson University, is held in St. Petersburg, Russia.
July 1 - Towson State University is renamed Towson University and adopts a new logo.
September - First classes are offered in the new Jewish Studies program.
September 11 - Towson University unveils its new logo.
October 15 - Ethel Nowell Andrews, class of 1909, dies. She was 108 years old and had long been considered the University's oldest graduate.
November - College of Natural and Mathematical Sciences changes its name to College of Science and Mathematics.
Gerontology Program is established.
|1998||Towson is ranked among the top 10 public institutions in the North by U.S News & World Report.
Graduate program in Women's Studies is established.
March - Occupational Therapy's graduate program is ranked 13th in the U.S. News & World Report's "America's Best Graduate Schools."
Fall - Master of Science in Applied and Industrial Mathematics and Master of Science in Information Technology Management accept students into their programs.
Honors College established.
|1999||Center for Applied Information Technology is created.
Dance Team wins the Division I National Championship.
College of Education receives a national award for teacher training.
|2000||May 29-June 4 - Towson hosts the World Cello Congress III. Yo-Yo Ma is the featured performer.
Fall - Millennium Hall, a privatized apartment complex for resident students, opens.
Kiplinger's Personal Finance Magazine names Towson University to its list of "100 Top Values in Education".
TU's academic advising programs for freshman and transfers earn an "Outstanding Institutional Advising Program Award" from the National Academic Advising Association.
|2001||Dr. Mark L. Perkins (July 2001- April 2002) becomes Towson's 11th President.
Dr. Dan Jones serves as interim President from April 2002 to June 2003.
Fall - Towson inaugurates doctoral programs in Audiology and in Occupational Science.
March - Towson University's chapter of Beta Gamma Sigma, National Business Honor Society, wins the 2001 Gold Chapter Award.
March - Dr. Alex Storrs, Astronomy, discovers a companion to Asteroid 107 Camilla, only the fifth such companion ever found.
April 29 - Schuerholz Park for baseball is dedicated on April 29th.
Fall - Towson is ranked 8th in the "Top Public Northern Universities - Master's" by U.S. News and World Report.
December - Towson's chapter of Kappa Delta Pi is awarded an Achieving Chapter Excellence Award.
|2002||Towson University is named a Center of Academic Excellence in Information Assurance
Education by the National Security Agency.
U.S. News and World Report names Towson University one of America’s Best College Sports Programs for the outstanding graduation rate of its student-athletes.
July 1 - Dr. Robert L. Caret becomes the 12th President of the University.
Fall - 7800 York Road building opens as the home to the Department of Computer and Information Science, College of Extended Programs, College of Graduate Education & Research, and the English Language Center.
October - Barry Levinson, filmmaker, is honored with the Distinguished Lifetime Achievement Award from the Departments of Mass Communications and Communications Studies and Electronic Media and Film.
October - Towson Stadium is renamed Johnny Unitas Stadium.
College of Education, College of Graduate Studies and Research, and the International Programs Office launched Towson University’s first Master of Education in Secondary Education in Shanghai, China.
May – At the 139th Commencement, the first doctoral degrees are conferred. Doctor of Audiology degrees are presented to Harmony Evans and Monica Serdinow.
With over 750 courses, Towson inaugurates TEC, Towson’s eLearning Center, to provide 24/7 professional development for faculty and staff.
Center for Student Diversity established, replacing the Office of Diversity Resources. Art King is named as Assistant Vice President to head the office.
Cook Library opens for 24 hours during Exam Week.
Towson awards Masters of Education degrees to students in Shanghai, China.
Towson goes wireless with new campus-wide network.
Towson begins the Cherry Hill Learning Zone, a partnership with Baltimore City schools, neighborhoods, and government to improve Cherry Hill public schools.
Doctor of Education degree presented to Gabriele Meiselwitz.
First online courses begin in the summer starting with four master’s level classes and one undergraduate class in the Health Professions.
January commencement divided over several ceremonies by Colleges.
Towson offers joint Masters of Business Administration program partnered with the University of Baltimore.
The Willard Hackerman Academy of Mathematics and Science established to attract more students to the Science, Technologies, Engineering, and Mathematics fields.
April 22-23 - Gala reopening of the newly renovated and expanded Center for the Arts.
Towson begins offering Nursing degree programs at the University System of Maryland Hagerstown.
New Childcare Center opens.
Lida Lee Tall building demolished to make way for new College of Liberal Arts complex.
Towson opens the Business Globalization Center as an incubator for international business. It is now known as TowsonGlobal.
Towson begins offering degree programs in Elementary and Secondary Education in partnership with Harford Community College.
Tiger statue unveiled outside Stephens Hall.
Low ropes course built in Glen Woods to help with team building exercises.
Towson University receives two design awards from the American Institute of Architects Maryland chapter: a merit award for excellence in design for Center for the Arts and a citation award for excellence in design of the Childcare Center.
University begins renting space at 7400 York Rd. with eye towards buying building in future.
Kinesiology department begins offering Master’s degree.
Towson Hillel earns accreditation from the national board of directors of Hillel becoming the first Baltimore-area university program to receive the honor.
Towson begins trimester program in summer.
The College of Health Professions partners with the Community College of Baltimore County Essex and offers a duel enrollment for students to earn an applied associate's degree in respiratory therapy and a bachelor’s degree in allied health.
Towson awards its first forensic science master’s degree to Jennifer Bresett.
Towson team wins the United States Adventure Racing Association 2008 Collegiate Nationals.
Towson begins offering discounted parking permits to those campus members with hybrid vehicles.
The William Paca and Harriet Tubman residence halls open.
Towson awards its 100,000th degree.
Towson offers single-stream recycling to entire campus.
The Center for Geographic Information Systems develops GreenPrint, a mapping program used by the State of Maryland to aid conservation efforts.
Towson hosts its 15th Annual Multicultural Conference.
Towson University’s women’s swim team wins the Colonial Athletic Association Championship for second consecutive year.
Towson University’s TIGER Marching Band plays in Macy’s Thanksgiving Day parade.
Towson begins offering Master’s program in Autism Studies.
The first phase of the new College of Liberal Arts building is completed and opens for classes.
Delta Alpha Pi, the first Academic Honor Society for students with disabilities at Towson, inducts 10 founding members.
Towson University ranked 89th in Forbes’ 2009 list of Top 100 "America’s Best Public Colleges".
University debuts new fight song.
Towson satellite nursing program begun at the University System of Maryland at Hagerstown campus.
Towson named military friendly school by G.I. Jobs magazine.
Towson campus members plant and maintain the Community Vegetable Garden.
The Baltimore Hebrew Institute at Towson University is established.
University Dance Team wins Dance Collegiate Championship for twelth year in a row.
Entire campus becomes smoke-free.
Political Science professor Jack Fruchtman Jr. wins the University System of Maryland’s Board of Regents’ Faculty Award.
Second bronze tiger statue placed in front of Albert S. Cook Library.
Towson Women’s Gymnastics takes title for sixth consecutive year at the Eastern College Athletic Conference.
Towson Men's Lacrosse team claims top seed and Tigers coach Tony Seaman wins Coach of the Year in the Colonial Athletic Association championships.
University awards its first Ph.D. in Jewish Studies.
Groundbreaking for the Tiger Arena is announced.
Dr. Caret announces his plan to depart from Towson in the Spring of 2011.
Kenan Hebart wins the first TU Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Leadership Award presented by the Center for Student Diversity.
Kyle Beyer awarded "Student of the Year" title at the Central Atlantic Affiliate of College and University Residence Halls Conference.
Women's swimming team wins fourth consecutive CAA championship.
Six TU students win the Maryland State Police and Anti-Car Theft Committee Video/Radio Public Service Announcement Competition.
Courtney Cox first student to receive TU's President's Diversity Award.
TU begins updating campus lighting to more cost-effective and environmentally friendly LED system.
College of Liberal Arts complex completed.
Douglass and Barton residence halls open, as does West Village Commons.
Cook Library becomes Federal Depository Library.
Institute for International Education names TU a Top Producer of Fulbright Scholars.
TU football team wins 2011 CAA championship. Terrance West, freshman running back, wins first Jerry Rice Award, which is given to an outstanding freshman player in the Football Championship Subdivision of the NCAA.
U.S. President Barack Obama and family attend TU basketball home opener.
TU cyber security defense team wins Maryland Cyber Challenge and Conference.
Dr. Maravene Loeschke becomes 13th President of Towson University.
Campus offers gender neutral housing.
WTMD radio station moves to Towson City Center building in downtown Towson.
Stephens Hall bell refurbished with electronic device to ring the bell every hour. This is the first time the bell has rung on a regular basis in 20 years.
Women's lacrosse team wins CAA Tournament. Goalie, Mary Teeters, is named the CAA Most Outstanding Player.
TU Dance Company performs at Kennedy Center Millennium Stage.
TU unveils Veterans memorial garden.
Alumni Association donates third tiger statue, installing it near the new College of Liberal Arts building.
TU makes Princeton Review's Guide to Green Colleges for third year.
TU begins installing solar powered bus stops -- panels power LED lights and informational signs.